Monday, April 28, 2014

Saving Grace

When Murray died, he took a piece of my heart with him.  Dudley knew his brother was sick and wasn't really affected at all by his absence.  I was thankful to still have my Little Man to come home to but it just wasn't the same.  I was affected by his absense.  I wasn't a 1 dog person.  Even with two young children, my house was just too quiet.

I'm not sure when it happened but all of Murray's medical issues, attributed to bad genes, and stories I had been hearing about local rescue groups made me start to think more about those dogs.  My search for another dog did not start by Googling "breeder" and I didn't start buying the paper to read the Classified for puppies.

I started looking for another Maltese on Petfinder.  I wanted to save a life. While searching, this little lady popped up.
She wasn't really what I was looking for but there was just something about her that made me want to know more.   I immediately filled out the application for her and then obsessively checked my email for a reply while applying for a few other Maltese through different rescue groups.  

Gracie was with Florida Little Dog Rescue and their website told me that they would get back to me within 24-48 hours.  REALLY???  That long????  I wondered why they couldn't get back to the second they got my application.  Didn't they want homes for these dogs? (I'm well aware now that I didn't even know the first thing about what it takes to run a rescue group.)  

THANKFULLY, my need for instant gratification was served when I received a call from Florida Little Dog Rescue within a few hours.  The dog's foster mom called me within an hour after that and we had plans to meet the next day!  

I was so nervous about meeting one of those rescue dogs.  My husband was out of town oand he was not happy that we were going to meet her!  All night long, my mind wondered.  Did she have issues? Was she going to bite me, my kids, or be mean to my Dudley?  I wanted another dog badly but I really didn't hold high expectations for this meeting.

I was was so wrong and meeting her is one of my happiest memories!  We met the foster mom in the parking lot, and here is how this sweet little doggie greeted Sasha!  No questions asked, just doggy kisses for this new little girl who was petting her.  Sasha turned to me and yelled, "Mom!  I want this dog!"


 Her foster mom was so unbelievably patient with us while I texted back and forth with my husband (he wanted to wait until he could meet her, too) and we got to know each other.  In hindsight, I was being overly picky!  My mother-in-law was with us and she was also pushing for the adoption so my poor husband was overruled and we decided to adopt this sweet girl.  
After trying out name after name after name, we thought we were sticking with Lulu.  Once the kids went to bed, "Lulu" was snuggled up against me on the sofa.  It blew my mind that she had such trust only a few hours after meeting me.  To make it even more amazing, this was after living for 3 days in a foster home, 3 MONTHS living in animal control and 15 MONTHS of living as a breeder dog. Other than the soft lap she had found, she had absolutely no reason to trust.  

She was living in animal control that long because she was considered EVIDENCE against the breeder who had her.  Evidence.  After being stuck in a crate her whole life, she then had to live in a cement kennel because of some irresponsible backyard breeder trying to make a buck.  

While "Lulu" was snuggled against me, I thought about her life and I thought how happy I was to have 2 dogs again.  She was not replacing my Murray but she was already healing my heart.  She was safe and she was saving me.  She was my Saving Grace.  My mother in law was sitting in the living room when I blurted out, "Saving Grace.  Gracie!"  We both knew that was this girl's new name!


She fit herself into our life so quickly and even Dudley admitted he liked her after a few days.  As her personality began to shine and boy does it SHINE, I saw certain Murray behaviors.  He also had a Shining personality.  I believe he guided us to this girl because she has his big spirit!  Just like children, you're meant to have the dogs who come into your life.  

I finally had one of those dogs and she was awesome.  Sure, she needed a little training and some love.  She still has issues but really, don't we all?  All of my stereotypes of rescue dogs flew out the window and I was in love (and so was my husband).  


No comments:

Post a Comment